Monday 20 February 2012

Girls in White Dresses - Jennifer Close

Surprise, surprise, it's been a long time since I've been here to write.  I'm many books behind and a whole lot has happened in the few weeks since I last took a minute to write about what I'd read.  It seems like such a simple concept and yet it seems I make it so hard.  However, I have made (yet another) resolution to try very hard to do just this one simple thing, and take those few moments, and just write it out.  It is one of many simple resolutions I have been making lately which, if all goes well, will combine to create some favorable change/forward action in my life.  

Besides all that, I was initially drawn to this book, like many others, when I came across it at the bookstore I used to work at.  It has a beautiful cover, and I think my very first thought about it was just, 'I want that dress.'  The affair with this particular book carried on like many others, in the form of me continuously picking it up and reading the jacket, then adding it to that booklist I made when I eventually got around to making it, and then finally getting from the library probably about a month ago now, in that same batch as Stargirl and the Paper Garden

I think I actually read this right after the Paper Garden and before Stargirl, but I can't really be certain because of the time that's now passed.  I do know I read it pretty much in one go and just stayed up way too late, curled up in my living room.  It was easy to do because of the way the story is told. The narrative follows a group of girls through thier twenties.  It is told almost in scenes...each piece of the whole story told in little pieces; the bare minimum needed to get the essence of the fact of what's happened.  It is a surprisingly elegant and fresh take on some fairly common threads.  The effect is very fresh.  I loved it.  I found everything in it - it could be funny, or heartwrenching, or a scene from my own life.  This is a book that feels like a good long talk with your best girlfriends.  Glad I finally read it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment