Saturday 7 January 2012

Happily Ever After - Nora Roberts

After reading a few books in a row with heavier plots and some themes of destruction (Postmistress, Out, Blackout/All Clear -- even The Prestige was creepy!) I took a break by rereading this book because it is perfect girl candy, and I am, after all, a girl.

I read this series of four books (The Bridal Quartet) early last summer - perfect beach reading - and I must admit I loved them.  I've read one or two Nora Roberts books before, not usually my first choice though and I forget how I ended up reading these. I think probably a customer at work told me about them, and then I know I got them all from the library that was right at the end of my street at the time.  I remember that I read them out of order, and drove around the corner to the other close-by library to get the last one I needed to read when mine didn't have a copy and I had a random day off.  Yes, I'm a nerd.

But they're good books, soft and romantic, any woman I know would find them irresistible.  They're about four old-time friends who get to all live on the huge estate left to one of them by her parents, and together they run a wedding company called Vows.  Each woman takes care of a different aspect of the business, with one a florist, one a chef, one a photographer, and one a planner/organizer extraordinaire.  They live dreamy bliss, getting to live near their closest friends in a beautiful setting while enjoying plenty of success from their business.  Each of the four books tells the story of one of them falling in love with their dream guy.  This is what I mean by total girl-chocolate-candy goodness in book form.

I love the pretty picture that's painted, the setting really stirs my imagination, the friendship is so strong and well depicted; it reminds me of myself and certain women I am lucky enough to have in my own life.  I got all four of these (with one of my xmas gift certs!) from the used bookstore I discovered soon after moving to Newmarket.  Actually, that day that I came across it I met an old friend (but we haven't lived in the same city for many years, so we are in the process of re-connecting) on her lunch break - she works right near my place - and we went to a plaza across town where she needed to do an errand.  While waiting for her I discovered Starlight books, and one of the books I bought that day was a copy of Happily Ever After to give to that friend.  I love giving people impulsive gifts for no reason.  And I felt like she was maybe feeling a bit anxious about general life problems, and thought this book would be perfect for her to unwind with.  As I handed it to her, she lit up with 'I love Nora Roberts!' but she hadn't read the series yet so I felt like it was a good choice.

I'm sure I'll be reading these as a random pick-me-up for ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment