Thursday 19 January 2012

Love, Stargirl - Jerry Spinelli

I've had this sitting around my house for a while because I got it from the library when I went and got All Clear.  For whatever reason it just took me a while to get into it, but when I finally did I read it in an afternoon (as I said, I have a lot of time on my hands just now).

I loved the Stargirl book when I was a kid and I think it's part of the stack of teen books my dad is letting me store at his place until some future time when I have the extra space.  Also loved There's A Girl In My Hammerlock by the same authour, though I couldn't describe exactly why.  But when I saw there was a sequel to Stargirl, I had to read it.

Unfortunately I can't say I loved it. It's good, no doubt, nice afternoon read. It's cool to re-visit the story, the character.  She's definitely an interesting character, and she comes through clearly in the book as if no time has passed.  This book is told from the perspective of Stargirl herself, too, which is cool as well.  I think the main reason I felt a little disappointed by it was because I thought it was going to be further on in time; that she and Leo would re-unite by the end, or be together as adults.  So it wasn't what I was expecting.  It's essentially more of the same but told by Stargirl rather than Leo.  At the end there's that same sense that they will be together again...at some point.  Definitely nice to get a bit more of the classic story though.

The interesting thing about the Stargirl story is that in my experience it's pretty universally well-loved.  I even stayed briefly with a bizarre girl in Calgary who had re-named herself Stargirl because she liked the book so much.  I find myself hoping she knows there's another and has read it, because I'm sure it would make her really happy.  Meeting her also made me wonder how many other real-life Stargirls are out there.

My favorite part of the book: the dedication.  Love, Stargirl is dedicated to the sixteen grandchildren Mr Spinelli and his wife have at the time of printing.  How great is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment